BlueOrchard is a leading global impact investment manager and member of the Schroders Group. As a pioneering impact investor, the firm is dedicated to generating lasting positive impact for communities and the environment, while aiming at providing attractive returns to investors. BlueOrchard was founded in 2001, by initiative of the UN, as the first commercial manager of microfinance debt investments worldwide. Today, the firm offers impact investment solutions across asset classes, connecting millions of entrepreneurs in emerging and frontier markets with investors with the aim to make impact investment solutions accessible to all and to advance the conscious use of capital. Being a professional investment manager and expert in innovative blended finance mandates, BlueOrchard has a sophisticated international investor base and is a trusted partner of leading global development finance institutions. To date, BlueOrchard has invested over USD 9bn across more than 90 countries. About 230 million poor and vulnerable people in emerging and frontier markets received access to financial and related services with the support of BlueOrchard as of December 2021. Become part of this unique success story and join our fast-growing company in Zurich, Switzerland as
Associate Impact Manager: Blended Finance and Impact Management Team (BFIM)
The Associate Impact Manager (AIM) will be part of the Blended Finance and Impact Management Team and will report to the Head of Impact Management.
The purpose of this position is to contribute to the team’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) and impact management activities with respect to both the Private and the Public Assets funds under BlueOrchard management (outlined in detail below).
The AIM will perform independently the tasks outlined below or as assigned by his/her supervisor. The AIM is expected to have a thorough understanding of BlueOrchard Finance’s (BOF) business model and processes. The AIM will perform impact and ESG assessments both at investee/issuer level and portfolio level. The AIM will contribute to the enhancement of BOF’s impact and ESG management practices and frameworks (B.Impact), including tools, investment processes, monitoring and reporting.
- ESG and Impact management tools, policies and procedures: support the team in implementing the B. Impact framework on existing and new initiatives across Private and Public Asset products. Contribute to maintaining the relevant policies and procedures up to date.
- ESG and Impact assessments: actively contribute to the impact and ESG assessments of investees and issuers alike through the proprietary impact and ESG tools across asset classes and sectors.
- ESG and Impact monitoring: ensure consistent and correct recording of ESG & Impact assessments in BlueOrchard’s MIS as well as in any relevant database as applicable. Support monitoring of the relevant portfolio KPIs, including establishment of potential action plan in case further engagement with the investee is needed. Keep track of yearly or bi-annual review of scorecards on both private and public asset side and jointly with the ESG & impact team prepare updated scorecards for the respective investments.
- ESG and Impact reporting: contribute to regular monthly, quarterly, and annual investor’s reporting cycles as well as ad-hoc requests by investors in terms of additional information required on the private and public assets ESG & impact process and portfolios.
- ESG and Impact assessments and certifications: take the lead in producing information to apply and qualify for new labels, certifications, and verifications as applicable across all funds under BOF management. Support the team in impact assessments at fund level, and in the development and implementation of specific technical assistance projects focused on impact and ESG at investee and portfolio level (e.g. end-client surveys).
- Enhancement of the overall impact management practice: contribute to the further enhancement of the ESG/impact management framework at BOF including its implementation and expansion in scope across sectors to support product development and new fund development.
Required skills and experience
- Postgraduate Degree in finance, business administration, economics, or related field; ideally with a focus on sustainability related topics;
- At least 4 years of work experience in asset management, investment banking, or with a leading consulting firm;
- Prior experience in developing and implementing ESG and impact management frameworks and tools;
- Exposure across asset classes (e.g. sustainable infrastructure, private equity, and sustainable bonds), as a plus;
- Good financial analysis skills, attention to detail and demonstrated capacity to analyze data, prepare charts, reports and power point presentations as required;
- Good presentation skills and strong suit for written communication and marketing skills, and prior experience in fund reporting (e.g. factsheets);
- Excellent project management skills across all stages from design to execution;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications with advanced skills using Excel and powerpoint;
- Excellent written and spoken English skills, French and/or German skills are a plus.
Your personal profile
- Advanced personal organization and planning skills and ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and in demanding situations;
- Proactive, result-driven, able to work in a fast paced environment, flexible with “hands-on” approach and willingness to perform both technical and more routine tasks;
- Highly motivated, ambitious self-starter, willing to go the extra mile to achieve results in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment;
- Resourcefulness to ensure stakeholder satisfaction at all times and excellent communication skills;
- Passion to innovate and to be a leading contributor in impact investing;
- Team player with ability to identify and formulate critical issues, pragmatic approach to analysis of data, information and facts and capability to draw appropriate conclusions from the information available.
What we offer
- Work in a global and fast-growing company with a true commitment to its mission of fighting global poverty and climate change;
- An entrepreneurial culture, offering multiple opportunities for learning and development;
- A dynamic and multicultural team spread around the globe;
- Attractive compensation and exciting career opportunities.
Preferred start date: ASAP.
Please apply in ENGLISH, including CV and cover letter via www.blueorchard.com/about-us/careers/
Kindly note that only online applications received through our career website will be taken under consideration.
Deadline for application is 5 June 2022.